Wednesday 23 July 2014

DIY : Heart Surprise

Hi everyone!


Want to surprise your partner or your friends with something cute and easy to make? I'm sure everyone agrees that a handmade gift or card makes us feel extra loved, so why not make one for someone today! Read on to learn today's make-it-yourself craft :)

2 years back, I made this for the Mr. It was the same idea, but I didn't have a proper way of presenting it. He kept it inside his wallet for some time... So today, I'm doing an improved version of what I did before.

These are the materials you need:

Coloured paper (I'm using post-its, you can use anything you have)
Pencil
Black marker
Scissors
Glue stick
Eraser (optional)

With a pencil, draw any character you like on a piece of coloured paper. It can be an animal, a boy, a girl or even a cartoon/anime character. 

On another colour paper, draw a heart shape which is approximately the size of your character's tummy.

I drew a cat because we both love them. :) Keep it simple for now. You can follow exactly what I have done so far. 
Next, outline with a black marker. Add on details for your character. I'm giving my cat a tuxedo. (!!) On the heart, draw a paw on each side. I erased my pencil lines after this. 
Just cut out the two pieces with a pair of scissors.
Trace out the paws using the leftover coloured paper and cut them out as well. Glue them in place over the heart.  
You're almost there! So you have 2 pieces now. One of a cat with his hands behind his back. And one of a heart with paws on the sides...

But if you align the heart on your character like this, it will look like it's holding the heart! :)

So next is just finding a way of presenting it to your loved one. For me, i'm doing a mini card today. 
I glued my cat on a small piece of paper and added some dialog. You can be creative here. 

It's better if you are using a thick paper or card material. I'm using normal A4 paper so the ink had seeped through. I solved the problem by gluing another piece of paper to the back.

Now we need to make a mini envelope for the surprise. Draw lines (using pencil) similar to what I did above. The idea is to contain the heart in the middle box. Do not make it too small because it will be hard to take it out later on. 

Cut out according to the top line that you have drawn. Fold in according to the 3 sides (left, right, bottom).
Apply glue to only the 3 folded edges. Paste it to the back of your card like this:
Draw an envelope design. Any way you like. 
Here you can faintly see that i have slotted my heart inside the 'envelope' through the top. Write a mini note somewhere so that your partner will know that there's a surprise inside! You can also write a letter and slot it in together. Or throw in some stickers,etc. if your friend/partner loves them.

So when they receive your card, they will be like, hmmm.. Okay.. What is it? Where is it?
It will not be obvious to them at first. But they will definitely be surprised after realising that these are like 2 pieces of puzzle. ;)

It's especially lovelier that you had made this for them yourself. You can also replace the heart with a rectangle banner with the words 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' for example. 

So why not try it today? It doesn't have to be a special occasion for making someone smile, right? And shhhh... I only used the stuffs i found at work. :p 

Hope you liked the Heart Surprise tutorial. Try it out and let me know what you think! I would love to see your creations and characters too. :)

Happy crafting~

0 comments:

Post a Comment