Thursday 17 December 2015

Activity: Make Your Own Terrarium


So, what is a terrarium?


I've always wanted to create a terrarium of my own and my mini dream came true when UNISIM offered a 'Make Your Own Terrarium' workshop held by Little Green Pot.
Early Saturday morning
The workshop was only a short 1 hour so you can definitely tell that making a terrarium of your own isn't hard work. But i can tell you that the workshop definitely opened my eyes to the world of miniature plants.
My chosen plant
The workshop instructor was also really good. He provided useful details and information (so that our terrarium wouldn't die by the next week :p). Theory-wise, it was a short jog of memory to my Plant Biotechnology days in Singapore Poly.
We were given a jar filled with the items needed and a plant each
The 'ingredients' - Small gravel, charcoal, soil, decorative pebbles and decoration
I'm so lucky that I got a snowman deco! I call him Olaf hehe
Before the hands-on, we had a mini theory session. A terrarium may live as short as 3 days to 3 years depending on how well it is maintained. (Which is really little as it is self-sustainable). These are the 5 useful tips I've learnt from the workshop:

  1. Keep the environment closed: A terrarium is self-sustainable meaning the entire water cycle and photosynthesis process will happen within the jar without any external help.
  2. No direct sunlight: Natural light is enough. Office desks work as well.
  3. Minimal water required: Only water once every 6 months.
  4. Condensation is normal. If big droplets appear, air the container for around 15 mins
  5. Once the plant is too big for the container, you can either:
           - Trim the plant
           - Open the top and grow as an open condition
           - Leave as it is, the plant will find a way to grow within the container

The tools
Our hands on sessions was facilitated and we followed the steps together.
The workshop instructor was there to make sure that we're doing it right and good enough.

My favourite part was when we had to dig a hole as big as possible for our plant to be placed in. Soil was then scooped in from the sides to make sure that the roots are fully covered.

The challenging part was to flatten the soil around the plant. This will make sure that the plant stay rooted and stably upright. I had uprooted my plant once during this process HAHA but luckily i managed to get it nicely covered again without destroying my plant. 

I love this tool, it's like a stirrer but with a flat scoop used to flatten the soil.
The next step is simple - DECORATE! We were given colourful decorative pebbles and a mini deco item each. And then it's done! It's so simple right?
My happy Olaf in a tropical climate
Here are the summarise steps with pictures:

I really loved the workshop and I would recommend it to everyone. You don't even have to have green fingers and the maintenance required is almost none! These mini gardens are definitely pleasing to the eye and will make a wonderful decoration for home or office.

I am planning to decorate my future house with them! heh :D
My terrarium alongside one of the other student's
If you want to find out more about terrariums, you can visit Little Green Pot or their Facebook page to take a look. They usually hold 2 workshops per month and you can find out more information by e-mailing them.


Hope you've enjoyed this post! 
Please let me know what you think in the comments below and share the post if you like it :)

3 comments:

  1. If you want to buy newborn baby boy clothesand baby boy clothes Singapore. Check out, the best online shopping store Little Kooma!!! Now

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to buy newborn baby boy clothesand baby boy clothes Singapore. Check out, the best online shopping store Little Kooma!!! Now

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to buy newborn baby boy clothesand baby boy clothes Singapore. Check out, the best online shopping store Little Kooma!!! Now

    ReplyDelete