Thursday 22 October 2015

Exploration: Jurong River

Highlights of our trip
Hi everyone! It's another Exploration post - we will share a place which requires you to get up on your feet and jump right in into an adventure :D

This time round, we're bringing you to Jurong River. Located in between Singapore Straits and Jurong Lake Park, the Jurong River can also be seen from AYE.
The star indicates the 'entrance' from which we entered from.
Walking to the entrance is not a hassle from my home in Teban Gardens, so it will be as easy if you're here in the neighbourhood.

The entrance
With my family, so excited!
Be prepared to walk through some tall grass and soft, muddy ground.
The path was better maintained than I last remembered.
Do remember to use your CALAMINE LOTION if you're worried about mosquitoes.
My auntie and cousins were already there when we reached and they have set up a fire to chase off the mosquitoes away + to cook whatever catch we managed to get.
Setting up the fire
When we reached at around 2.30pm,it was high tide so we couldn't go further in to dig for clams. You can always check out the high/low tide timings HERE.

The tide information for that day. H indicates High Tide and L indicates Low Tide.
High Tide - Suitable for fly-fishing or netting.
My mum and brother tried their hand at netting. Me too actually, but I was totally noob about it. lol
The surprising thing was that my cousins found some oysters. These shellfish can be found clinging to rocks and you can pry them off slowly. The important thing is to watch out for those barnacles (!!) those things are horrible and they can easily cut your hands.

Of course these are not the best grade of oysters and the only way I would suggest to eat them is by really making sure they are fully cooked. I managed to find one oyster of my own and it was the smallest! (Bottom right pic)
Shucking and cooking the oysters.
Playing in the water
After a few hours, we could see that the tide was slowly going back down. We managed to find some clams which most we cooked straight and ate over there. :D
Lol. My mum posing, this is possible during low tide.
Low tide: Best for digging for clams, finding oysters and netting. My sister found the biggest clam!
These clams are also known as lala and they have a slight sweet taste.
The yellow canoe is good for resting.
Also, as written on the tree: Please Keep This Area Clean :)
It was close to 6pm so we made our way back home. Us siblings would have loved to stay longer as we started to find more clams since the tide was getting lower. The netting didn't go so well so it probably would be better in low tide as well.
The journey back home was as beautiful (From top left clockwise: Flowers creeping on fences, Containers and machineries on both sides, Spot the bird!, Going back where we came from)
Into the dustbin they go.
Also, my jogging shoes were totally gone by the time I reached home! Okay these were quite old (at least 5 years old) so there wasn't any hard feelings for me to part with them. Also, do wear old clothings which you wouldn't mind getting a bit dirty.
One last wefie before we head back home
It was really a fun and fruitful experience and great for family bonding. My parents have already started planning on their next visit and I would also love to go again when it is low tide. 

Hope you liked this post. Thank you to my family, my auntie and cousins for being there. Wouldn;t be possible without you all! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment